Sunday, June 29, 2008

Trooper Shawn Blanton


In two days (Monday morning) the rest of Haywood County will have the opportunity to read how the funeral of Trooper Shawn Blanton, father of a two-week-old baby boy, loving husband, son, brother and friend to many in the community effected me. One, hands down the single most difficult assignment that I have ever had to cover. I really cannot explain how deeply this event touched me. Though I never had the opportunity to talk with Trooper Blanton I felt as if I had lost a close friend. I arrived at the funeral service just after the NC State Police Caisson Group unloaded the horses and carriage from their prospective trailers. I was speechless at the detail taken in the pains taken perfection of preparing the horses and "buggy" for the transportation of Blantons casket.
One the Hurst arrived with Blantons casket there stood a trooper next to the Hurst whom I believe was named Trooper Henderson. The pain and anguish on his face was simply more than anyone could bear. But this man stood there at attention for over an hour to honor his fallen friend.
There was a young man who arrived and began to play the bagpipes. A hauntingly sweet sound of Scottish roots. was in the air. Soon it was time to carry Him to the service. The pall-bearers removed the casket from the Hurst, carried it to the carriage. I will never forget the sound of the horses hooves on the pavement and the sound of the steel wheels rolling along the route and over the speed bumps that are normally never noticed by motorists.
The casket taken into the Stuart Auditorium in the presence of his widow Michaela. That poor woman and all of her pain. Which was hands down the most difficult photos taken. Where is the line between invading ones right to mourn and covering the news of a fallen trooper? I learned alot about myself that morning. I had to lower my lens more than once.
I arrived at the cemetery before the funeral procession in Cherokee, NC for the graveside services (He was the first member of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians to become a NC State Trooper). The silence leading up to the final call was deafening. We all had tears flowing down our cheeks.... Rest in Peace Trooper Blanton

No comments:

Post a Comment